Friday 24 September 2010

In the spotlight: Monique of My Glamourology

Yippee today is Friday! I'm shattered to be honest. This morning I was battling with the good old Greek lack of internet and phone connection for over 4 hours... I'd woken up mega early to start my day and wanted to tick things off my never ending list of things to get sorted and the no internet thing didn't help at all!

Anyhow, I'm so excited to share with you all a fabulous & glam blogger who also happens to be uber talented at sketching (anything fashion) as well as designing & making jewellery. What I love about blogging is the fantastic community we have, getting inspired and sharing the love of all things fabulous!
So, let me introduce you to this gorgeous gal, Monique of
My Glamourology and owner of online jewellery boutique, Justina-Leigh Jewellery! I remember the first time I came across her blog after she left a lovely comment on mine and I was instantly captivated by her outfit posts, cute pup and her amazing jewellery collection, one click on her shop had me running to my purse and grabbing my plastic, I wanted everything!!! I eventually picked out the ever popular woven chain bracelet 'Monte' for my 5m fashion fix.

Here's a glamourous peek into Monique's world, enjoy!


Tell us a bit about yourself and your work. When did you launch Justina Leigh Jewellery?

Full time I am a fashion designer for tween girl clothes but I've always had so many random passions on the side. I started making necklaces from thick chains maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I really made them as gifts and a few people at work would order some. It's sorta started from there but only recently did I have enough courage to actually try and get it into small independent Boutiques like Julia James and even started my own Etsy shop.

This morning you woke up and...
Today is Saturday so I woke up later than usual, immediately put coffee on the pot, checked and made a few emails, not every Saturday do I have to fill an order but ironically today I do! A bracelet for a girl named Debbie over in the Netherlands she ordered the Monte from my Etsy shop..
The new 'Monte' bracelet with leather entwined

What is a typical day in the life of Monique Justina?
A typical day is me waking up at around 6:30, After getting ready to go to the office I check my emails, maybe publish a blog post, read a few blogs, get to work and usually I have a meeting in the AM with my merchandiser, get to designing and working with our pattern maker. After work I go home at around 6:30ish I walk the dog, the sweetie and I either cook or order in, and then I blog, and design jewelry and I'm in bed around 12:30/1am every night. Working full time and also having a mini side business def leads to less sleep and less time for relaxing and TV watching. But I enjoy it regardless.

Supercute outfit and a little sketch of those lace shorts

Where does your inspiration come from?
I'm not sure really what I'm inspired by. Nothing specific in particular I just really love mixing girlie with hard edgy things. I love when I wear a frilly party dress and one of my big chunky heavy metal bracelets to off set the look. Even on my heavy metal pieces they have crystals and pearls. I just love the clash of the two looks.

Justina Leigh sold in various retail locations, click here for more info

What do you love most of what you do?
Having an Etsy site and being able to send the things I create across the globe to someone is amazing! I have an order from a girl in the Netherlands and to me that's just amazing. Someone will be wearing Justina Leigh across the globe! I love that!

Any advice for aspiring online shop owners?
My shop is still pretty new, but I think having a blog has really helped it gain a bit of traffic. I've become Etsy obsessed lately. Buying things from other creative people. Things that are one of a kind and unique. I think I'll do most of my Holiday shopping there too!

Other than shoes, what is your wardrobe chock full of? (Note, this gal loves shoes!)

Well, yes shoes are def 75-80% of my closet! But I also have an abundance of handbags. I started collecting bags when I was in college I had hundreds! Sad story - my Father accidentally put the box of handbags I had stored in the basement outside for charity to pick up! I lost literally about 100 handbags!! The one I miss most is a vintage Moschino red one. I've never seen that style again! Definitely a sad day for me, but slowly my collection has grown and I do have quite a number of handbags.


Fave dress?
My deep purple Diane Von Furstenburg chiffon wrap dress that I purchased at Neiman Marcus outlet for a pretty good price. It's simple and elegant and I toughen it up with chunky belt. I love that my BF is in the background of this pic too! Typical of what happens when I'm photographing and playing dress up! Haha!

Fave Bling?

I love this ring I purchased as a gift to myself when I was single. It's a big smokey topaz with a halo of pave diamonds and pave diamonds on the band. I figured if you don't have a guy to buy you sparkles just buy it yourself! It makes me feel strong and independent. I think they call those power rings? Did I just make that up? I have no idea, but I love it and I love that It was a gift from me to me!

Fave Shoes?
My Chloe Black Patent "Leonessa" T-strap Mary Janes that I purchased 3 years ago. They make me feel so girlie! I wear them with thick black tights and mini skirts around the holidays, they never go out of style.

What are your favourite shopping haunts in NYC?
I love thrift stores but unfortunately they've gained so much popularity that you cant find anything at a bargain! Until I discovered Beacons Closet in Williamsburg recently. They have great things designer and not designer at great prices! Huge fan of that place. But my all time favorite store in NYC is Henri Bendels. That place is like heaven for me!

If there was a genie in a bottle, what 3 wishes, would you wish for?
1. To be able to eat cupcakes every day and not gain a pound!
2. More hours in the day to do everything I want to do
3. More wishes?? lol!

It's never too late to...
Do something your passionate about.

What's next?
There are so many different things I want to do. I would love to expand Justina Leigh into a small lifestyle brand. I'd make one of a kind handbags with straps that look like a lot of my bracelets (I used to make handbags in college) and maybe even some clothing pieces. I'd love to get back into sewing, but there really just isn't enough time in the day! Where is that genie!?! haha Here's a peek of one of my new styles that I haven't put in my shop yet. It's a twist on the popular "Monte" I'm starting to incorporate leather. I haven't even named it yet, any suggestions? :)

I really love this!!!
Fashion is...
Not the articles of clothing you wear, but how you wear them.

Thank you so much Monique for sharing! Have a great weekend everyone!

Don't forget to check out Justina Leigh Jewellery!
Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...