Saturday 18 August 2012

CELEB-CONSUMER CULTURE: KARDASHIAN KOLLECTION OVERLOAD


Whilst I have the occasional celebrity style crush & also love to sneak a peek at what they're wearing every now & again, there's comes a point in time when you just have to say enough already!
I'm about a coupla days late into this story, but I heard that the Kardashian sisters were launching their 'Kardashian Kollection' with UK High-street retailer Dorothy Perkins for Fall. I don't despise them, I love Kim's beauty bites, but seriously is anyone out there as bored of their world-wide invasion already? 
The Kardashians have everything, from good looks to wealth and apparently a successful reality TV show, which I've never seen btw. I only came across them last year or so due to the over-obsessed media stories (about the wedding) in the tabloids - yes..., that's how I came to hear of them.

Anyhoos, I'm frankly a little disappointed in Sir Phillip Green. He has brilliant business sense, wields so much power in retail, I respect him massively, so I get why the collaboration with DP's would be great (from a money-making sales & brand profile point of view), but I've just had enough of the celeb-fied to consumer culture based partnerships. There is so much talent out there, it would have been great if the Arcadia Group could embrace & support any one of the Graduate Fashion Week winners for their first mini line/collection. These are the guys with real vision & the capacity to change (high street) fashion or at least make it innovative!
Here's what Sir Phillip Green had to say on the partnership via Retail Week.

So, what we can expect from their collection? If it's anything like what they're selling via Sears and their own personal style, then be prepared for fitted frocks, glamour and glitz. I'd imagine the price points to be along the same, if not a little more expensive than DP's own range - which is still significantly cheaper than Topshops.


It'll be interesting to see how well the collection sells & whether the UK folk will buy into the Kardashians style but I, however won't be spending my hard earned cash. 

...Maybe I'm not the only one who's bored of the reality TV family, Bourne Legacy star Jeremy Renner told the Guardian: 'Oh, all those ridiculous people with zero talent who spend their lives making sure everyone knows their name. Those stupid, stupid people.' Ouch! Ok, maybe that was a little harsh?! Via this interview here. Sorry there goes my Saturday rant over! So what are your thoughts? 

Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...